Integrated M.Phil & Ph.D. :
Often, the background of students who take a Masters degree in Samskrit is found inadequate to pursue research in these subjects. To orientate the students for research as well as to give them an exposure to the different research areas, the various research institutes across the country have introduced post-M.Sc. courses or pre-Ph.D. courses for hard core science subjects for their incoming research students. All the Universities in the advanced countries have pre-Ph.D. courses for their students. But then, the Indian Universities offering Ph.D. programmes hardly ever provide any scope for systematic training in advanced topics at the Post-P.G./ Pre-Ph.D. level. This usually leads to the students acquiring on his/her own just enough background with great difficulty, in the very narrow field of his contemplated research topic. As a result, most of these students do not always acquire enough confidence to be able to carry on independent research during their Ph.D. programme nor do they find themselves equipped to take up research in other developing fields at the post-doctoral level. The M. Phil. course started at our University is intended to fulfill this important need of :-
Providing research orientation to the students.
Giving them an opportunity for a fairly extensive as well as intensive study in the various research areas.
As per the decision of the Board of Studies of the Dept of Samskrit Studies, the M.Phil course will be a three-semester course. Following ʻUGC Regulations on Minimun Standards and Procedure for the award of M.Phil/ Ph.D Degree, Regulations 2009’there will be course work to be completed by the students. The course will mainly comprise of the things recommended by UGC and also the topics which will help the students do better research in his chosen area. On satisfactory completion of course work and research methodology, which shall be the part and parcel of the M.Phil/Ph.D programme, the scholar shall undertake research work and produce a draft thesis before the end of the third semester. The project/dissertation work will be under the guidance of the teachers on an advanced topic in the subject concerned and is intended to give an orientation for Ph.D. research work. In the meanwhile, the applicants are requested to go through the ʻUGC Regulations on Minimun Standards and Procedure for the award of M.Phil/ Ph.D Degree, Regulations 2009’ and Ph.D., D.Litt. and D.Sc. (Honoris Causa) and M.Phil. Regulations and Rules: of Vivekananda University.
1) 60% marks in Samskrit with Honours in Bachelor Degree and 60% marks in the concern subject in Master’s Degree from an UGC recognised University. (5% relaxation in percentage of marks for SC/ST candidates).
2) Aspirant should possess UGC NET-JRF (Junior Research Fellowship).
3) Aspirant must be willing to join as whole-time Ph.D scholar.
4) For the current year 2016-17, the specialization for Ph.D. will be Vyākaraṇa and Vedānta. Aspiring candidates should therefore have had specialization in Vyakarana (Pāṇini’s grammar) or Vedanta as the case may be..
5) Easy and facile writing ability and fluent speaking capacity in Samskrit is essential.
Procedure of Admission :-
1) Candidates must bring their original documents of educational qualification & other testimonials in the time of Examination/Interview.
2) The decision of the Selection Board & the University Board of Management will be final under any circumstances.
3) The date of Exam/Interview shall be notified in due course.
How to apply :-
Apply, preferably by email and followed by the application form, within 10 days from the publishing of admission notice, with a detailed CV Email to Registrar at:- "firstname.lastname@example.org"
A copy should be marked to Swami Japasiddhananda, Co-ordinator of the Department of Samskrit Studies, at any of the following emails:-
Department of Sanskrit Studies.
School of Indian Heritage
Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda University
PO - Belur Math
Email & PhoneEmail :   email@example.com   or   firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone :   (033) 2654 9999
Fax :   (033) 2654 4640
Know more about   "Belur Math"