Integrated M.Phil & Ph.D.: Course Structure
Often, the background of students who take a Masters degree in Sanskrit is found inadequate to pursue research. They need some orientation. With a view to prepare the students for research as well as to give them an exposure of different research areas, various research institutes across the nation have introduced post-M.Sc. courses or pre-Ph.D. courses in hard core science subjects for the incoming research students. All Universities in advanced countries have pre-Ph.D. courses for their students. But Indian Universities that offer Ph.D. programmes hardly ever provide any systematic training in advanced topics at the Post-P.G./ Pre-Ph.D. level. This leaves students in mid-waters as it were. They perforce have to acquire on their own with great difficulty the grounding needed for a thorough research in their chosen field of specialization. Research is a special type of intellectual endeavour by which scholars unravel more and more knowledge out of less and less details. For want of proper training and orientation most of the post-graduate students in India lack the necessary confidence to carry on meaningful research during their Ph.D. programme. Nothing to speak of post-doctoral pursuits. The M. Phil. course started at our University is intended to fulfill this important need of :-
Providing research orientation to the students.
Giving them an opportunity for a fairly extensive as well as intensive study in various research areas.
As per the decision of the Board of Studies of the Dept of Sanskrit Studies, the M.Phil course will be a three-semester course. Following ʻUGC Regulations on Minimun Standards and Procedure for the award of M.Phil/ Ph.D Degree, Regulations 2009’there will be course work to be completed by the students. The course will mainly comprise of the things recommended by UGC and also the topics which will help the students do better research in his chosen area. On satisfactory completion of course work and research methodology, which shall be the part and parcel of the M.Phil/Ph.D programme, the scholar shall undertake research work and produce a draft thesis before the end of the third semester. The project/dissertation work will be under the guidance of the teachers on an advanced topic in the subject concerned and is intended to give an orientation for Ph.D. research work. In the meanwhile, the applicants are requested to go through the ʻUGC Regulations on Minimun Standards and Procedure for the award of M.Phil/ Ph.D Degree, Regulations 2009’ and Ph.D., D.Litt. and D.Sc. (Honoris Causa) and M.Phil. Regulations and Rules of Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute.
1) 60% marks in Sanskrit in Bachelor Degree with Honours and 60% marks in the concerned subject in Master’s Degree from an UGC recognised University. (5% relaxation in percentage of marks for SC/ST candidates).
2) Aspirant should possess UGC NET-JRF (Junior Research Fellowship).
3) Aspirant must be willing to join as whole-time Ph.D scholar.
4) Currently Vyākaraṇa and Vedānta are the subjects offered for Ph.D. Aspiring candidates should therefore have had specialization in Vyakarana (Pāṇini’s grammar) or Vedanta as the case may be..
5) Easy and facile writing ability and fluent speaking capacity in Sanskrit is essential.
How to apply :-
Apply, preferably by email and followed by the application form, within 10 days from the publishing of admission notice, with a detailed CV Email to Registrar at:- email@example.com
A copy should be marked to Swami Japasiddhananda, Head of the Department of Sanskrit Studies, at any of the following emails:-
Procedure of Admission :-
1) Candidates must bring their original documents of educational qualification & other testimonials at the time of Examination/Interview.
2) The decision of the Selection Board & the University Board of Management will be final under any circumstances.
3) The date of Exam/Interview shall be notified in due course.
Department of Sanskrit Studies.
School of Indian Heritage
Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute
PO - Belur Math
Email & PhoneEmail :   firstname.lastname@example.org   or   email@example.com
Phone :   (033) 2654 9999
Fax :   (033) 2654 4640
Know more about   "Belur Math"